How to improve your life now? How to achieve the things that you want in life? What can you do TODAY to make it happen in the long run?
Well, here is what I want to start my post with:
“The common denominator of success – the secret of every man who has ever been successful – lies in the fact that he formed the habit of doing things that failures don’t like to do.” – Albert E. N. Gray
If you want to be successful, you need to learn about or, better yet, PRACTICE the daily habits of successful people. In this article, I will mention the top three habits that are very-well common among highly successful people.
Let’s start with the first one.
The Daily Habit of Successful People #1: Reading Every Day
The first habit, which I believe is the most important one, is the practice of reading literature on a daily basis.
Why is the reading so important on your path to success?
The answer is simple.
See, every book really is someone else’s experience.
After all, an author of a popular book didn’t write it “just because”. Most likely, he went through a certain life experience, made some conclusions about what works and what doesn’t, and then shared this experience through the book.
So, when we buy and implement the knowledge gained from the books, we shorten our path by avoiding the mistakes that an author has made.
We adopt his/her experience and we know that if we follow one direction, the end result will be ‘this’, and if we follow another direction, then the end result will be ‘that’.
Thus, having adopted one’s experience, we have an ability to move faster through life. In contrast, a person who did not adopt one’s experience will have to learn from his mistakes on his own.
Now, let’s imagine this: if you read 30-50 minutes a day, you will easily finish one book of medium thickness in a week.
Since in a year there are 52 weeks, that will be approximately 52 books read per year.
Having this habit of reading every day, we can possibly adopt an experience of 52 different people.
Meanwhile, an individual who doesn’t have such habit doesn’t then gain this knowledge/experience. No wonder why certain people are highly successful and others are not.
Once again, the answer is in this habit.
Having received the experience of others, people tend to move faster in life.
Of course, there are also other advantages to reading the books:
- You improve your vocabulary and you start to express your thoughts better;
- With books, your analytical skills improve and you perceive the world differently;
- Books are food for thought. Just like we are used to providing food for our body, we equally need to provide food for our mind.
What To Read?
I advise you reading at least in two directions.
- First, reading books from the area of your specialization. For example, you are in the photography business, then it is recommended to read books of this topic so that you eventually become an expert in what you do.
- Second, it is recommended to read books that have a ‘global’ direction – that is, the topics of personal development, the financial intelligence and the behavior with the opposite sex. The more you develop yourself in different directions, the better off you will be in life.
So, that’s the first habit of successful people – reading useful books 30-50 mins a day. Personally, I find it best to read in the morning while the mind is fresh.
Another thing to note – when you read something, try to use your knowledge in practice! Otherwise, the practice of reading won’t be as effective as it could be.
The Daily Habit of Successful People #2: Setting Goals
The second habit of highly successful people is the ability to set goals.
It is a fact that most successful people live in the “from goal to goal” mode. They set a goal, come up with a plan/steps and act upon it to achieve your goal. Then, they set a new goal. And again take steps to achieve this goal. And so forth.
People who do not succeed, tend to live without purpose/goals. They just live “with the flow”.
Here, I like to make analogy with two ships.
1. The first ship goes out into the ocean, knowing the exact direction in which she needs to sail.
- She has an approximate itinerary, possibly avoiding the unwanted currents/storms/icebergs and arrives at its destination. There, she sets and goes to a new destination. Thus, she effectively gets from point A to point B.
2. Now, imagine a second ship without a destination.
- She goes out into the ocean and keeps floating in uncertainty from here to there, and never really ends up reaching at least to one particular destination.
Same thing happens in life.
If you look at things around yourself, you will see that there are two types of people – those who constantly try things, achieve one goal after another and eventually become successful; and those, who simply wander through life without a map, thus not reaching any destinations.
I believe this is one of the most important habits and that’s why I included it here.
By the way, do you know where the whole topic of setting goals came from?
It all started with a famous experiment conducted in Harvard Business School (and very well described in McCormacks’s #1 national bestseller: “What They Don’t Teach You at Harvard Business School”).
- Specifically, the experiment showed that the 3% of Harvard MBAs who had clear, written goals and plans ended up earning ten times as much as the other 97% combined!
Back then, this topic exploded the self-development market and ever since then every book and personal development trainer will point on the importance of goal-setting, having these goals written down and living in the “from goal to goal” mode.
The Daily Habit of Successful People #3: Physical Activity
The third habit I wanted to mention here is the habit of regular physical exercise, throughout one’s whole life.
For some reason, these days in our society, the word “success” is mostly associated with one’s wealth.
However, if we are to be objective here, there are a lot of people who have a lot of money, yet they are unhappy. Yes, these people might have money but they do not have a family, a good health and simply gave up on their outer appearance.
That is why, personally, I associate success with a harmonious individual who is well off with finances, has a good health and body shape and has family and friends. And a big part of this harmonious life is a healthy, strong body.
Being in good physical shape is achieved through a habit of regular physical activity. Dedicating at least 30 minutes a day with biking, swimming, whatever your choice is, is good for you.
The best part is that physical activities greatly improve other areas of your life as well.
The perks of being physically active include:
1. An increased self-confidence.
It’s a proven fact that an individual in good physical shape is more confident than those who are obese, always sick and can’t walk 5 floors on the stairs without stopping to catch a breath.
2. An automatic rejection of social drugs such as alcohol and cigarettes.
A person who constantly takes care of his/her body doesn’t indulge in social drugs and thus increases his/her life expectancy.
3. Physical activity is food for muscles and cardiovascular system.
In other words, such person is in great health.
4. An opportunity to have an “alone moment”, get connected with nature, have the fresh air and recharge with nature’s energy.
Regularly interacting with nature surely reduces stress. At least, that’s how I personally feel. What about you?
This is why I think that regular physical activity should be in the TOP 3 daily habits of successful people.
Let me repeat: the 3 daily habits of successful people are reading books, setting goals and being physically active.
Want to know how to improve your life now?
Build these habits. Within a year, you will be on a higher level than those who do not have these habits.
And if you want to MAXIMIZE your personal growth and become the kind of person who stops talking about doing things and actually follows through, then I highly recommend reading Stephen Covey’s bestseller: “The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People”. 🙂
And what habits do YOU find most effective? Would love to hear your opinion in the comments below.